Sunday, June 14, 2020

The Quentin Conversation

Posted by: Srinivas
Posted on: Apr 25 2007 at 9:10


So I've finally landed onto the PFC platform and all thanks to Oz and Vijay. Being my very first post, I would have loved to introduce myself as a learning film-maker and go on about my tryst with film-making and film-makers, but all that can wait. Because right now I am nothing but just an avid cinema-goer just like all of us. Why is that you ask? Well that's because the topic that I am posting is about a meeting I had with a man who goes by the name of Quentin Tarantino. But before you start showering me with abuses, let me tell you that it was a chance meeting of which even you could have been a part of, if you were here at LA for the Indian Film Festival.

Anyways, a short run down of how the things took place. We were all chilling at the Arc Light Cinema lounge area, when one of the IFFLA staff member told me that Quentin Tarantino's in the house. I thought she was joking till she showed me a snap she clicked with him. I started looking around and grabbed my digicam and started hunting for him. Below the lounge area is a small cafe where he was seated in the most unusual of all places. Right in front of the entrance| Nikhil Prakash (Another short film maker and an excellent actor) and me stood behind him as he was finishing a talk on his phone. As we got ready to attack, in walked Eli Roth (Director of Hostel) and Edgar Wright (Director of Shaun of the dead). So all 3 of them were having beer and just chilling. We went up to QT, introduced ourselves as directors of our respective short films, which were being shown at the festival. And then started a discussion which lasted for almost 20-25 minutes (Excluding the photo session)

QT: Well yes, Ive been to the festival last year and this year I am going to watch some films. When are your films?

Us: Sunday afternoon

QT: I am definitely coming. Sunday is the day I am free. Sure.

Me: So I am actually from Mumbai and I am a huge fan of yours. (Fuck I am talking to QUENTIN TARANTINO expression)

The men themselves.

QT: Hey that's really great. How're ya finding LA? I am so glad you're from there. What do you think of Bombay's rip off of Reservoir Dogs? KAAANTE?

Me: (I didn't know how to react to that) I didn't quite like it.

QT: WHY? I LOVED IT. I think it was fabulous. Of the two rip offs I loved are Hong Kong's Too many ways to be number one and this one KAANTE.

Me: Well yeah I know, but if you noticed in the HK version, they had set the premise in HK itself. Whereas for the Indian one, they've shot it in US. They could very easily have conceptualized it with Indian cities.

QT: Well yeah, but the best part is - You have INDIAN guys, coming to US and looting a US Bank. How cool is that. I was truly honored. And these Indian guys are played by the legends of Bollywood. I was honored.

Me: Hmm. That's true. But what were your feelings when you were watching the film?

QT: Well, I started watching it and I knew it was Reservoir Dogs. But then, the film is longer. You guys are crazy because you guys like long movies. And that's what I like too. But we have a studio system here. But yeah, coming to the point, here I am watching a film that I've directed, and then it goes into each character;s background. And I am like WHOA That's something. Because I always write the backgrounds and stuff in my scripts but it always gets chopped off during the edit. And so I was like this isn't RD. But then it goes into the warehouse scene and I am like WOW Its back to RD. Isn't it amazing? Wow.

Me: Yeah, our films are kinda long and sometimes character driven too.

QT: Yes. And I loved the guy who plays the role of Harvey Keitel. This big beard guy. Famous guy in Bollywood.

Me: Amitabh Bachchan? So when are we seeing Quentin Tarantino venture into Bollywood?

QT: I would love to come there and see how it works. But then I have to get used to the setting and be comfortable. Then only true quality can be achieved. As of now, I want to watch The Wall (Deewar) playing at your festival.

Me: Yeah. Its one of the most powerful films to come out of India.

QT: Yup. I'll try coming for your films on Sunday. If I am here, I will definitely come.

Me: Thanks. It was a pleasure meeting you.

QT: Same here man, always a pleasure to meet you guys

QT: Btw have you guys seen Grindhouse? Its playing here in LA. I guess you guys should watch it man. Pretty insane stuff.

Us: Yeah surely we'll watch it.

QT: Cool. See ya then.

By this time a considerable amount of people had gathered behind me and Nikhil. I quickly took a photograph with him. Varun and Nikhil followed suit. As we were leaving I could hear QT telling some guy (who wanted to click a photo with him), Ive got enough photos taken. Thank you. This is when I ran upstairs to see Oz posting on PFC, and hence the FLASH MSG in his post.

So that's the whole conversation that we had more a monologue than dialogue. But its not everyday you walk into a cafe and see one of the most influential film makers of the new generation, staring back at you.

Finally my first post. More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment