Sunday, June 5, 2016

Dev.D- When me and Abhay fought.

Published by: Anurag Kashyap 

Published: on Jan 19 2009 @ 11:06 pm  

 

Abhay deol is the face of “independent” cinema , not just according to Man’s world but lots of others. Rightfully so. He is so independent that he can be very difficult to work with if you don’t know what you are doing. Why? because the man asks questions. Pointed questions. My first instinct whenever i am asked questions or made suggestions to, is to dismiss them, then i can’t help but think over them , about them and sometimes try to answer them or incorporate them, but the work flow never stops. Abhay can stop your flow. His questions can bring a pause to the proceedings. As involved that he is , he sometimes ends up living the character he is playing and when he does that, it can be a nightmare sometimes. Not for me as much as it can be for the assistants. Abhay did just that on Dev.D.
He became Dev. I told him to come straight from bed, with his unwashed hair and all, he said he will not touch the hair but will wash his face, i said no , he said,
” you will get what you want fucker but hygiene is my prerogative.”
One day Abhay did not turn up on the set on time. We partied late the night before, he overslept and i screamed at him, he screamed right back, well the party was in my room. But my ego would not accept it, not that i reached the set on time, I wasn’t even there when i screamed at him. I got a call from my assistant that he has not reached and i called him and started screaming , from my hotel, i had not left it either(talk about hypocrisy). So after the screaming match he reached the sets and i did too. I wasn’t talking to him and he wasn’t talking to me. I would give him instructions without looking at him, addressing my associate nitin(presley no.2 from EA) and he would respond to him. Poor nitin didn’t know what to do. He would look at me and him. We were shooting a very difficult scene and i knew abhay could be temperamental. What if he decides to get back at me. He did the take, he improvised, he threw his legs on the ground , kept tapping and grinning, he even improvised a line that was brilliant,”what are you, florence nightangle tonight”. I wanted to say brilliant and i said O.K. So he wanted to get back to me by doing it better than expected, so i decided to get into the showoff mood too. I kept improvising takes and he stayed deeper in the character. Once he gave me a chance to reprimand him when he spoke the line in english and i said,
” please tell the actor that the dialogue is in hindi”
loudly and he continued in english. I said this is not an english film. He said the line in hindi in next take. Eventually i kept the English one. This went on for three days, the whole set was tense, Rajiv asked me,” is it alright between you two.”
I said ,”no”.
Everyone was silent on the set for those three days. Worst three days for the assistants. But the best three days for the film. The output of those three days was the best for both Abhay and me. He was brilliant and i was on my toes. Best from both of us was on those three days. I have known him forever and we always wanted to work with eachother and three days is a long time, on the third day i complimented him directly and he looked at me said thanks and went away. I went to see him in the room. His room in the hotel nearby. I knocked. He opened the door . I looked at him and said sorry, he smiled and said sorry. We hugged and let loose all the ego.
Drama is not always on screen.

___________________________________________________________________________________

33 Responses to “Dev.D- When me and Abhay fought.”

  1. oz on January 19th, 2009 11:16 pm
    I’ll drink to those three days!
  2. Srikanth Reddy Sanagala on January 19th, 2009 11:20 pm
    Normally when 2 ppl dont get along, they tend to overshadow one other..but ur case seems to be hatkaa..like ur movies
  3. Srikanth Reddy Sanagala on January 19th, 2009 11:27 pm
    I bet the same tension will erupt after seeing the movies fate…
    Im eager to watch it on TV…im sure it will be routed to satelite telecast within a month.
  4. ankur on January 19th, 2009 11:32 pm
    awww… mushy :)
  5. Vick on January 19th, 2009 11:33 pm
    Wow, nice one Anurag ji..
  6. Cherish on January 19th, 2009 11:46 pm
    Me first to comment :-) … I will keep tab on that scene for sure…but to compare…Anurag, can you post the other scene on youtube or on pfc?
  7. yayaver on January 20th, 2009 12:53 am
    It is very easy to have rift between creative personalities.Sometimes a small opinion difference can make best out of pair and remaining janta piss between them during this period of cold war.It is great to see two young and vibrant man working together to make/reconstruct Devdas story in their own way.Much will be said as gossip about film depending on hit/flop of the film.But I hope that the duo of kashyap-deol can give us more in coming times.best of luck;
  8. Cherish on January 20th, 2009 1:24 am
    Hey Anurag,
    I have a question. Why is there no interview of Amit Trivedi yet about music of Dev D (I haven’t seen any on net not even on pfc)? I suppose people would want to know more about this guy..his experiences with you, his influences, inspiration etc?
  9. anurag Kashyap on January 20th, 2009 1:53 am
    Ankit..me and tishu have done a film together. He is directing and I am acting as a gangster. It’s “Shagird”
    Cherish-Amit is very shy ..all the traits of ARR i tell u
    Yayaver- what a name? great title for a movie
  10. parth on January 20th, 2009 2:09 am
    @cherish
    Forget influences and inspirations, i dint even find his pic on Google!
  11. Rusted rick on January 20th, 2009 2:21 am
    saw Amit trivedi on a show on ndtv last night called DILLIANA, atleast i suppose it was Amit.
    Anurag was also there talking about dev.d
  12. Tejas on January 20th, 2009 2:27 am
    Parth - look for artist Amit Trivedi on last.fm.
  13. Bollywood Blog on January 20th, 2009 2:47 am
    Abhay deol is the face of “independent” cinema - Absolutely Right
  14. triplesix on January 20th, 2009 3:43 am
    it definitely does wonder to your system when u get pissed…it keeps you creatively more involved and stimulating…I’m saying this because i have, personally and professionally, experienced it. The end product ‘churns’out to be magical…[sorry about the last line..too much of Bourdain (his travel shows and this book that i'm reading] has gone into my head]…
    thanks for posting..
  15. Kumar Gautam on January 20th, 2009 4:28 am
    The best comes at worst time…Man will remain man…they do best when not being asked to, when not expected…
    “ego cheez kya hai…aap zara jan lijiye…padh kar ye article khud se man lijiye.”
  16. ravi on January 20th, 2009 4:30 am
    parth,
    Amit’s photo is in this interview:
    Amit Trivedi - ‘I don’t believe stars are needed to make the music a hit’
    He did a soul-stirring music tribute to those immortalised in 26/11 tragedy which has very subtle and meaningful lyrics by Amitabh Bhattacharya.
    The video:
    http://itwofs.com/milliblog/2008/12/27/khuda-ke-bandey-amit-trivedi/
    Since you would have seen his photo, in the earlier link, it is easy to spot him.
    Has AR Rehman ever spoken about Amit’s tryst with movies in interviews? It would be interesting to hear his opinion.
  17. axay on January 20th, 2009 6:52 am
    hey ANURAG,
    u said ABHAY become DEV… well i think when
    1)a director is making a film mostly his leading character is part of him or he tries to visualise himself as the leading character…
    2)the actor who is playing the leading character visualises himself as the leading charater & tries to live with it if he feels it interesting…
    3)and finally the audience when sees the film feels & visualises itself for the leading character… (even if he is a loser…kyunki ye duniyaa badi gooool hai)
    -axay
  18. papaji on January 20th, 2009 6:52 am
    nice. so abhay inherited dev’s ego. man that’s dangerous and brilliant method acting for you (reminds me of mithya). anurag, never piss him off if he’s playing something worse, like a serial killer or something.
  19. saju on January 20th, 2009 7:12 am
    anurag i just love ur films .iam a die hard sucker of ur films.i heard critics shattering ur “NO SMOKING” but as per me that is by far the best “cinema” i had seen i said cinema not movie.and cinema hold a very great respectful position for me.the honesty in the film ,the picturization i completely had fallen down for this film.i know its hte time for DEV D but iam 100% sure about its purity, brilliance and originality despite of being adaptation of the novel.thanks anurag for the films u give me.
  20. The Normal Guy on January 20th, 2009 7:15 am
    @ anurag :
    Have you ever thought of remaking Kamal Haasan’s Abhay with Abhay Deol ?
  21. kshitij on January 20th, 2009 7:18 am
    Hahahhahahahahhahah…..I never thought I would be laughing so hard after reading an Anurag Kashyap’s blog :D
  22. Kenny on January 20th, 2009 7:27 am
    Anurag, this is unrelated to Dev D, but I guess this would be a good place to mention it…I showed my kid cousins No Smoking, and the funniest thing was that my 17 year old female cousin, most unexpectedly, liked it. She knows nothing about you or Stephen King or anything - hell, she doesn’t even read anything or watch anything other than typical teenage ‘event’ movies like Ghajini and some saas bahu serials - but she actually loved No Smoking. I expected her to hate it it, but it was quite the opposite. PNU and I have this common belief that anything which holds audience interest for 2 hours is good enough for us. This case study of my cousin certainly has been enlightening.
    And btw, schoolkids in Guwahati are also chanting Emosanal Atyachar. What a pity they won’t be allowed in the halls! :)
  23. vivek on January 20th, 2009 10:30 am
    i love the honesty with which this article is wrriten although it is quite sad how important “compliments” are in this friends hip
    Kenny i was that kind of person and i liked no smoking too
    a lot of those types liked no smoking
  24. SANTOSH on January 20th, 2009 10:46 am
    Hi Anurag,
    You along with Vishal Bharadwaj maybe the only true auteur of our industry,but my fear is that this industry will destroy you.
    Regards,
    Santosh
  25. Phoenixnu on January 20th, 2009 11:25 am
    heheheheh….now without ths post n place, who would know cinema is much more than those two hours…great read! just waiting for the tabloids to pick it up…hehehehe n is that the reason why aamir has got d magical touch n dosnt work with same dirctor again…atlesat in the last few years, he hasnt done so.
  26. Sreedom on January 20th, 2009 11:41 am
    I heard that acrimony on the sets often leads to good cinema. Apparently, the whole set of ‘All the president’s men’ was full of ego clashes and hissy fits. The performances speak for themselves now, I guess.
  27. raghav on January 20th, 2009 1:48 pm
    i hope there is a “neon” fest in the movie as u have promised somewhere, as the ad shows least of it. hope hope..
  28. FairReview on January 20th, 2009 4:52 pm
    Baki dino me kya kya hua wo bhi likh dijiye. Film to chalni nahi hai. Critics aur apne friend circle me popular rehne ke liye kuch to material chahiye. Abhay D is no doubt very talented…to…aap bhi istemal kar lijiye usko.
    Try to come out of false and fake surroundings. And don’t say this movie and/or film work is your passion, every job that gives money becomes passion.
    Waiting for the movie and you wait for a fair review.
    Regards
  29. judgegag on January 20th, 2009 5:43 pm
    Turning a potential damper into a blast of creativity…genius, sirjee!!! I salute you.
  30. Nik Patel on January 20th, 2009 9:32 pm
    you are too good.. :)
  31. Gajendra S Shrotriya on January 20th, 2009 10:08 pm
    ee toh bhaiya saari unit pe bada he emosanal atyachhar hui gava!!!
  32. Indraneel on January 20th, 2009 11:06 pm
    Anurag, that song, Payaliya..is bloody good..Amit and Shruti need a pat for that..wonder how that has been picturised..even if in the background..
  33. bharat on January 20th, 2009 11:10 pm
    The health of ‘Jaccha-Baccha’ is directly proportionate to ‘the Labour pain’

No comments:

Post a Comment